26 November 2008

we gotta have more cowbell!

i hope the title makes sense to everyone who's reading this.  if not, stop right now, go directly to www.youtube.com, and search christopher walken snl cowbell... you are then allowed to come back and resume being my friend. :) so this morning was our 28 week appointment.  we went first to the ultrasound, where everything was, as usual, perfect! these babies continue to amaze us both! they're both 2 pounds 8 ounces and are measuring right on with their gestational age.  they never stop moving, which is so awesome, except when it involves really hard kicks/punches to my bladder... then it's only marginally fun. :) chuck was still vertex and ned was still breech, so we'll see what happens with that... chuck was kind of turned away, so she couldn't get a good look at him/her- usually when we need babies to wake up or move, we use the accoustic stimulator- buzzes babies back to life, or it's supposed to... well, apparently, that's not what they use here :)  they use a cowbell! yeah, i'm not kidding- it was seriously hilarious to see her shaking this cowbell right ON my stomach to try to get chuck to turn!!! hence, the title of the post :)... so it was kind of a quick scan, because i guess as they get bigger, they're too scrunched in there to get good looks at them... so then we had our time with the doc, who i continue to fall more and more in love with every time i see him :)... ok, yeah, i'm exaggerating, but he really is great.  so everything was good with me, good weight gain, clean urine (and by clean, i mean no protein or glucose spillage- ha ha)... we talked about C/S vs. vaginal deliveries again (as we probably will at every appt until i deliver because i can't make up my mind), good fetal movement, small talk, measured my uterus, which is at 39 weeks!!!, listened to both babes, more small talk... and then he checked my cervix.  this is where my bubble bursts.  i'm dilated to 2 cm. not cool, cervix, not cool.  he told me that and my instant reply was, bullshit.  and then immediately following that, i'm really sorry for that... oops.  so yeah, i'm dilated and not very happy about it :(... what this means: he didn't officially put me on bedrest, but took me off of work, and basically told me i needed to sit/lie down as much as possible. i am allowed to go to thanksgiving tomorrow, but i'm not allowed to participate in our tradition of going down to the Plaza (a fancier and bigger fig garden village), and watching them turn on the christmas lights for the season.  it's a big thing in kc, and i had really been looking forward to that because i hadn't been here for it the last few years... it's one of my favorite things that kicks off the christmas season (my favorite time of the year, especially since we're somewhere now where snow is a possibility), but like my mom said, nothing's worth having these babies come early.  which i understand. and i'm not going to be one of those defiant patients.  so i'm not going to be doing much for the next couple months except going to the doctor all the time and getting non-stress tests... the good thing about it all is that i'm not contracting, not really having that many braxton-hicks (fake ones), my cervix is thick and little chuck is still ballotable (his/her head is not low down enough to be engaged in my pelvis and is still able to be pushed back up into my uterus)... we're a little scared here at the stork house, but i think once it's set in, we're going to be fine, and we'll make it as far as we need to go for these babies to be healthy.  AND there's still procardia (ew), terb (ew-er), and mag (ew-est) if we need it... i just hope we don't need it... i hope you are all well and stay tuned for a couple of pics of the little ones- and my ginormous belly... or as my clever brother calls it- 2001 space odyssey... :)

1 comment:

melanie said...

I want pictures of you lying on your back with your feet up at all times!!! No early babies. Ned and Chuck, auntie Melanie will be the first one to spank you all the way from fresno if you make an early appearance. Hang in there Lil, I know everything will be just fine.

Love and miss you
Melanie