17 May 2010

bye bye, facebook.

i don't know when exactly it happened, but i had an epiphany a little bit ago.  i'm 28, i'm a mom, i love being a mom, and i don't want any crap in my life.  my mom and i have had the same conversation a lot as i've gone to college, as i got a job as a nurse, as i got married and moved to a whole new place to make new friends, moved back home, etc...  as you get older, you realize that you don't have as much time as you used to, and there is nothing like children to make you realize that the time you do have is so extremely important.  which means things in your life that are not priority don't need to be there.  when i moved back home from fresno, i needed a way to keep in touch with my friends i'd made out there.  they all told me i needed a myspace page, i wasn't into it.  facebook seemed like a good alternative.  but not until i was on bedrest in the hospital did i join.  i was warned by my friends that i would become addicted.  i did.  it made me nosy.  and fake-interested in people who i wasn't that good of friends with in past lives (high school, college, etc.).  i was a different person in high school, someone who would definitely have a facebook account and have tons of friends and be all about it.  i look down my nose at that person a little, but what am i going to do, apologize for who i was? nah, waste of time.  so i joined facebook, and was connected to a lot of people who could now all see pictures of the babies and "stay in touch" with me from far away.  except now, as i'm older (and wiser?), i'd rather not. i'd rather not put pictures of my babies up on the internet on a website who's privacy policy is longer than the US Constitution.  i'd rather not read about someone who's going through a divorce because her husband is cheating on her or see someone's profane thoughts out there for all the world to see.  i know, they are allowed to put whatever they want, it's their own page.  and i don't have anything to do with that.  except i read it, and it gets in my brain, and it's negative, and i don't want negative things wasting my time in my brain.  i asked myself yesterday, i've been on it for a year and a half, how has it made my life better? . . . . . . it has kept me in touch with a handful (literally maybe 5 or 6) people who i've liked to keep up with.  a handful of people.  who know what my e-mail address is, and if they want, can contact me that way.  i think i sound a little snobbish saying that, but in all honesty, i'm not sorry i sound like a snob.  it all has to do with getting older, realizing what my priorities are, how important it is not to have negativity around, and not being sorry for how i live my life.  not to mention how much time i will save not being on it.  seriously.  peace out, facebook, i don't think i'll miss you.

No comments: